Monday, January 26, 2009

Daybook Week of January 26, 2009


Monday, January 26, 2009


FOR TODAY . . .I don't know, we haven't gotten off to a good start. :( I'm not helping matters by being on the computer.

Outside my window. . . VERRRRY cold, but bright and sunny.

I am thinking. . . does it ever get easier? Missing a child who is far away, that is? Mom and Dad went to see him yesterday and I was holding back the tears as I was talking to her about the visit. I am so very grateful that they went,and all they did for him((!!) but it just reminded me of him not being here, and not being here for a long time. Yes, I know I am being overly sentimental.

I am thankful for. . . well......a sweet story from yesterday. The priest who gave the homily at mass was one who went on the March for Life with the *Right to Life* group. He was talking about being a Christian witness to the world. An example he gave was while he was eating a meal with some boys on the March, they began by saying grace without him having to remind them. :)

He was impressed by their witness. Later I found out that dear old Dyl was one of the boys sitting at that table. So, all that to say, I am thankful for children who remember to be good while they are away from home. ;)

From the schoolroom. . . Since Geo/Jax are studying the Jesuits who evangelized the Canadian Indians, I thought it might be good to find a movie to reinforce what they are learning. I thought of *Black Robe*, but it is rated R and I do remember some pretty disturbing parts in it. I guess we will have to settle for *The Mission* with Robert De Niro. Not that same geographical area, but it might get the point across :)

From the kitchen. . . for some reason, strawberries are in abundance at the stores, so I am going to make some freezer jam. Yesterday we had roast beef, pork, mashed potatoes, gravy,steamed green beans and mushrooms and grandma ople's apple pie. :)

As I am still trying to keep tabs on just exactly how much we eat: note to self.....

4 lb roast

4 lb pork loin

10 lbs potatoes

2 lbs green beans ( estimate)

2 pies

1/4 of pork roast left, 1 c potatoes, no gravy, only one pie eaten.

I am wearing. . . George just told me I look like I am going to the Highlands. :) Black, white and gray plaid skirt, black leggings underneath, white tank top and black sweater. My warm green nellos'.

I am going. . . It never seems to happen that I go nowhere, but for the moment, that is what I am planning. :)

I am reading. . . Georgiana and Elizabeth. More English history.

I am hoping. . . I could do a little better being a mature adult this year. (My birthday is this week :)

I am hearing. . Ella and Manny discussing what video they want to watch. Little do they know this is a fruitless discussion ;)

Around the house. . . .well, we cleaned up on Friday.....everything except the laundry room and garage, and that is where Noah and Jay decided to spend all their time building a fort ;)

One of my favorite things. . .an uber chilly weekend that gives you the excuse to hunker down at home. :) We watched lots of movies Saturday and Sunday while attending to chores ( I can't ever just sit there and watch a movie unless I am in a theatre). First, Naomi and I watched *Pride and Prejudice* (Keira Knightly version). She had never seen any version of this on screen (!?!?). I think it is a good one, but we saw the actor who played Mr D' Arcy in another film where he was a total buffoon so it was hard to swoon over him. ;)

Premonition with Sandra Bullock. I don't know how I always end up watching movies with Sandra Bullock. I don't think she is a particularly great actress, but this one looked interesting. It was pretty good, a little confusing.....or maybe not so much confusing as it didn't make sense ( that isn't the same thing! :) A good watch while ironing.

Under the Greenwood Tree ( a novel by Thomas Hardy). Not the best BBC film I have ever seen, but lighthearted and sweet. Perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon fiddling with pictures and couches that need recovering :)

Wuthering Heights on Masterpiece Theatre. I wish I had skipped this and watched Food Network Recipe Showdown. :( It was just rather choppy. This isn't my favorite story anyway ( too dark) but this one, (OF COURSE) focused much too much on Heathcliff's eccentricities and creepiness...... which begs the question, why on earth did Kathy adore him so? At least Sir Lawrence Olivier made you like him (Heathcliff) a bit, or at least have sympathy for his tortured soul. ;)

A few plans for the rest of the week. . .just the usual....

Here is picture thought I am sharing. . .

No comments:




Streams of consciousness from a mother of 10 who usually can't collect her thoughts and finds commas a nuisance.