Monday, March 16, 2009

Daybook, March 16th 2009


Outside my window . . ....the promise of more nice weather. Yee-haw!

I am thinking..........about Dyl's graduation party already. Ironically, our house can accommodate a good number of people but our backyard is pretty small. And Dyl's such a sporty guy and so are his friends, it seems the focus should be on having a good volleyball net, basketball, and other sports-type things that just won't fit back there.
I guess a park is the obvious answer but which one? The wheels are turning.

I am thankful for. . . lately, I am thankful that my husband has a flexible schedule ( most of the time) and for Dyl.....both of them drive people around quite a bit. I just can't imagine my state if it were me having to do it all. :)

From the schoolroom. . got our new books, which induced Jed to want to do schoolwork on Saturday. :)

From the kitchen . .I made some granola for the first time in a long time. I know a lot of people make this regularly, so I'm not claiming it is any great culinary feat, but the kids really enjoyed it.

Tried "Salmon Chowder" made from leftover salmon. I thought it tasted a bit fishy, but Tim really liked it.

I am wearing . . gray sweats and orange and white hoodie.

I am creating . . .more curtains. always curtains. :) Why can't I just leave well enough alone?

I am reading and watching . . . Nightingales: The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Miss Florence Nightingale Gillian Gill

Passing Strange - This is actually about a famous geologist who lived a secret life as a black man. Even though he was Caucasian. I'm not sure how he pulled that off ( doesn't look at all African American). I guess I will find out.

I watched:

The Innocents

Many years ago I read a collection of Henry James short stories. "The Turn of the Screw" was included in that.

I am not one for scary stories ( or movies,for that matter) and I'll admit, I didn't know what it was about when I started , but it has always stuck with me as one of the most frightening tales I've ever read. Not in the way you think of most "in your face modern thrillers", much more subtle.

So, when I saw this DVD at the library I was intrigued. It was made back in the early 60's and done completely in black and white. Since I knew what it was about, I didn't expect to be too scared. ( I was right :), although I can imagine someone who didn't read the novella, would be. Very. ;)

It was a very well done movie. Great acting and interesting presentation. The only downside is that there was an undercurrent of *weirdness* I don't remember from the book. I looked up some information on the movie and found the screenplay was 90% written by Truman Capote. Enough said. ;)


7 Days in September.

A video diary following several New Yorkers experiences in the week during/after 9-11. I don't know if I didn't pay attention or there just wasn't much said in the media about how people who actually lived in the city were dealing with it all, but this was an interesting take on it. Pretty engrossing.


I am hearing . . .silence right now. :)

Around the house. . . burned out yet another shop vac. I don't know why our old one lasted for years but now we can't seem to keep one going for more than a couple months. Probably because I insist on vacuuming the whole house with it.

I get a certain perverse satisfaction crawling about on my hands and knees with that thing and sucking up all the debris. It does such a GREAT job, much better than any vacuum we've ever owned ( and we've owned quite a few of those, as well).

I'm pleased to say I've got about 10 bags to put out on the curb today for the Kidney foundation. I'm in a ruthless, get rid of things, mood. Although the rest of the house has suffered. For sure.

One of my favorite things. . .the kids getting to play outside ALL AFTERNOON. Good for their little souls. :)

We went to the park yesterday afternoon and I guess the rest of the city did, too :) I love when people around here collectively celebrate the nice weather.


A few plans for the rest of the week. . .today we need to get all Naomi's soccer paperwork done, which includes getting something notarized. erg. Graduation meeting tomorrow, dentist on Thursday,* the* sale is Saturday.

Of course this is a big *Saint* week for us, St Patrick and St Joseph, so we'll be having corned beef sandwiches, green jello and green koolaid on Tuesday :) Maybe we'll save St Joseph celebrating for the weekend. ;)

Here’s a picture I am sharing. .

No comments:




Streams of consciousness from a mother of 10 who usually can't collect her thoughts and finds commas a nuisance.