Monday, August 24, 2009

Daybook, August 23, 2009










outside my window: Still dark and cool.

I am thinking.....I'm really feeling old this week. I had a bout of some sort of stomach ailment, then my knee went out ( yes, all in the same week) I met a new lady at a homeschool gathering and she was 10 years younger than me. Well, that is nothing new, but then it dawned on me that I am now the oldest of most women I meet in the homeschooling world these days. Lots older.

I am thankful . . my gimpy knee gets better every day, although it seems to do so ONLY if I keep it propped up on a pillow for several hours each day, which is difficult at best. But, I guess you have to deal with what is, not what you wish it could be :) Makes you appreciate the simple things in life like, er...walking! :)

From the schoolroom. . .school bins out and somewhat organized. The dining room table and living room are a maze of books, bins, papers and other such educational messes.

From the kitchen ...I think I made dinner ONCE the whole of last week. It felt strange. Dyl made some unbelievable fettuccine Alfredo on Saturday, though. :)

I am wearing . ...black track capri's and a blue knit hoodie.


I am reading and watching . .listening on cd :

Return of the Native Thomas Hardy

The Nature of Water and Air ( which I am about to give up on....interesting story, but the usual worldliness inserted in for shock value, I guess.)



reading:

Clover: Henry Adams wife. I gave up on listening to "The Education of Henry Adams" There was too much in there to read over and ponder, not easily done while listening. So, I found a book about his wife, which includes him, of course. Very interesting, so far. I need to find a hard copy of TEofHA.

Watched:

Brideshead Revisited ( the 2008 movie) I saw this at the library and decided to give it a try, although I couldn't imagine that any movie made in 2008 could really explore the spiritual themes in the book that would do them any justice. It's just not politically correct these days, you know. However, I was somewhat suprised that is wasn't the hatchet job I thought it might be. I think anyone unfamiliar with the book could be left scratching their heads at certain things because they weren't adequately explained, but I thought the acting was well done and the cinemetography, gorgeous!

Brideshead Revisited ( 1981 miniseries)
This one is pretty much completely true to the book so far. Marvelously well done.



I am hearing . ...silence.

Around the house. ...ugh. scuzziness abounds when mom is not on top of her game. well, it sometimes does even when she is but at least this time I have an excuse :)

One of my favorite things. ..a little bit of fall in the air :)


What will we do this week. ...family camping trip this weekend, other than that it's the usual soccer practices, teen get-togethers, organzing for the start of school, which is two weeks from tomorrow, I might add!



Here’s a picture I am sharing. ....a get-together with our nephew Matt!

No comments:




Streams of consciousness from a mother of 10 who usually can't collect her thoughts and finds commas a nuisance.